Tuesday, February 16, 2021

Yaarai nambi naan porandhaen

Yaarai nambi naan pirandhen 

Pongada ponga 

En kaalam vellum 

Vendra pinne 

Vaangada vaanga 


Whom did I trust in when I was born? 

Get lost  (all of you who turned your back on me)

 My time will come when I’ll be victorious (successful) 

Then you all will come to me 


Kolathilae thanniyille

Kokkum ille meanum ille

Pettiyile panam ille

Petha pull sondham ille


There’s no water in the lake (kulam is actually a public tank)

No birds no fish

There’s no money in the box

The son you begot son isn’t yours anymore 


Thennaiya petha ila neeru 

Pillaiye petha kanneeru

Pethavanan maname pithamma 

Pillayin maname kallamma 

Paanayile sorirundha poonaigalum sonndhamada

Vedhanaye pangu vacha Sondhamille bandhamille 


If you plant coconut sapling, you get coconut water 

If you beget (plant seed for children), you only get tears 

Parents’ heart is mad (crazy for kids) 

The children’s heart is (cold like) stone 

When there is food in the pot 

Even cats are your relatives 

When you want to share your sorrow

There is no relative, not bonds.



Nenjamirukku thunivaaga 

Neramirukkku therlivaga 

Ninathal mudippen sariyaaga 

Nee yaar naan yaar poda po 


Aadiyile kaathadicha aipasiyil mazhai varum

Thedi varum kaalam vandha 

sondham ellam odi varum 


My heart is strong and brave,

My time is clear,

I’ll finish what I set out to do 

Who are you and who am I? 

Get lost (Meaning we’ll see  who wins in the end, sort of a challenge) 

If the wind blows in the month of Adi it will rain in Aipasi (Natural course of events like, if winter is there can spring be far behind type of sentiment)

When (good luck) comes looking for me 

All the relatives will come to looking for me (Fair weather people) 

No comments: